Right Rev Henry Grey Graham
Born on March 8th 1874, the tenth and youngest child of Rev Manners H Graham, Minister of Maxton Kirk, Henry attended Broomhouse School and Kelso High School before going to St Andrews University where he gained an MA degree. He was inducted as Parish Minister of Avondale in Lanarkshire in 1901. He served there until 1903, when he was received into the Catholic Church at the Benedictine Abbey, Fort Augustus. He was inducted into the Priesthood in 1906 and became a Curate in Motherwell in 1907. He was installed as Parish Priest at Longriggend in 1916 and the following year became Auxiliary to the Archbishop of St Andrews and Edinburgh. He was provided to the titular see of "Tipasa in Numidia" on August 30, 1917, on the day he was nominated as Auxiliary Bishop of Saint Andrews and Edinburgh.
He was ordained bishop two and a half months later, on November 16, 1917, Feast of St Margaret, Queen and Patroness of Scotland (Scotland's Pearl). Archbishop John Aloysius Maguire of Glasgow consecrated him bishop with Bishops James William McCarthy (Galloway) and John Toner (Dunkeld) as co-Consecrators (Galloway and Dunkeld are Suffragans of Sant Andrews and Edinburgh). Obviously, under normal circumstances the archbishop under whom he was to serve would have consecrated him bishop. However, Archbishop James Augustine Smith, Metropolitan Archbishop of Saint Andrews and Edinburgh, was ill and unfit to do so (which is why he was being provided with an auxiliary).
Bishop Grey Graham chose as his episcopal motto the first line of the third verse of Psalm 34: “Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good”.
After Archbishop Smith died, Dom Andrew Thomas (Joseph) McDonald, Abbot of Fort Augustus, was named to succeed him, on July 19, 1929. He was consecrated bishop on September 24 following.
To all intents and purposes Bishop Grey Graham had been administering the archdiocese almost from the outset of his episcopate and many thought it a great injustice that he had not been named archbishop.
After an orderly transfer of responsibility to the new archbishop, Bishop Graham returned to the Archdiocese of Glasgow and immersed himself in the job of being a humble parish priest, although still a bishop and still in the titular See of Tipasa in Numidia.
During this period, he wrote many articles for various journals about his view of the relationship between the Protestant and Catholic faiths, being one of the few people to have been in the position to have been both a Minister of the Church of Scotland and a Bishop of the Roman Catholic Church. He died on December 5th 1959.
[ Incidentally, Tipasa is a village on the coast of Algeria which is renowned for its ruins. Used by the Phoenicians from the 5th century BC, it later became a Roman town and was destroyed about the end of the 5th century AD. The ruins, including thermal baths, a cathedral and a Roman forum and theatre, have been designated a World Heritage Site.]
| Back to: Maxton Village |