Dr Andrew Wilson
The son of the Parish Minister at Maxton, Gabriel Wilson (above), he was born in 1718. After studying medicine at the University of Edinburgh, he graduated MD on 29th June 1749. He was licensed to practise by the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh on 7th August 1764, and was admitted as a fellow on 6th November of the same year. He exercised his profession at Newcastle and afterwards in London, where he was appointed physician to the medical asylum before 1777. Wilson was a man of some mental power, and decided Hutchisonian views. Besides medical treatises he published anonymously several philosophical works. He died in London on 4th June 1792.
[Provided by the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh]
| Back to: Maxton Village |